Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pushing Daisies



Pushing Daisies is one of my favorite shows.


And I'll tell you why.


It isn't just the awesome cinematography or pretty colors or shot compositions. And it isn't just the quirky storyline or endearing, off-beat characters or even the heartwarming narration. It's the fact that this show combines ALL of these elements into a story that makes you want to climb into your television set and visit the world in there. You know, a place where a little bit of magic actually exists...


I actually do believe magic exists here. Granted, it's not as obvious as people touching corpses and bringing them back to life...Nobody's flying around, nobody turns invisible, nobody can make things float with their mind (at least not to my knowledge)...But there are a lot of little things you notice if you look. Enough to keep me from becoming completely jaded (thank God).


For example, all those little coincidences that kinda make you laugh. Like when I was given the job to create graphics for a donut game? There's a Dunkin' Donuts being built right down the street. Two work days in a row, during my lunch hour, donuts were featured in two seperate tv shows. Okay, it doesn't seem like much...but after months of not giving donuts a second thought, here I was being bombarded with images and stories about them.


All right, how about those moments when you're listening to your iTunes, the radio, even a CD on random...And you think "I'd really like to hear (insert song here)"..and it comes on? There was a day when I walked into a restaurant for lunch and RIGHT as I walked in, the song "100 Years" by Five For Fighting came on. Not saying that's my theme song or anything, but the piano intro is so pretty...and for some reason, just fit the mood I was in that day.


Hitting nearly every green light down Meridian is enough to make me believe in magic...It has happened a few times.


Sunsets! Last night, the sky was CRAZY when I went to get dinner with Laura. The clouds looked like rows of cottonballs, sort of...And they were all reds and oranges and that really interesting orange-pink color. I swear, if you would take a picture of that sky, it'd almost not look real. Wish I'd thought to grab my digital camera...as it was, I settled for the camera on my phone.


Okay, maybe this partial list of things seems kind of stupid now...


But I still believe in magic, damn it!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Definetly not stupid. Whatever it takes to keep you from being jaded.
It's like believing in miracles. Not all of those are big either. Like feeling excluded at work, just to have a coworker invite you to lunch. lol Miracles and magic. Personally makes me think that God works in mysterious ways. Just wanted you to know that I'll be glad to have you home. Miss seeing you.
~L