Monday, August 25, 2008

three weddings

I attended my third and last wedding of the summer about a week ago. The first two being my cousin's, then a childhood friend's. This last one probably had the most impact for me because I grew up with Ashley and even though we haven't been as close in recent years, she's always been and will always be a big part of my life. She and Sarah are the people I think of when I hear the phrase "the older you get, the more you need people who knew you when you were young" (name that song!). Of course, I'm still young...but there's a nice sisterly bond there that's lasted for 22 years through ups and downs.



The wedding was simple and fun. Which is really how weddings should be, in my opinion. It was extra interesting because the groom (Francis) is from Nigeria, and his family had the most beautiful clothes. Gorgeous fabrics and bright colors. For the reception, Ashley and Francis changed into special outfits made from fabric imported from Nigeria (shown above). Beautiful!

I think it's amazing how different weddings can be. Granted, before this summer, the last wedding I'd been to was my cousin Allison's wedding almost ten years ago...so these past three are really the only ones that are fresh in my memory. But you'd think with something as common as marriage, everything would start to feel the same after a while. So far (luckily), that hasn't been my experience. Jared and Jen had been dating for ten years before they got married, so everybody seemed to know each other already...it was comfortable, fun, and tastefully elegant. Andy and Courtney's wedding was massively opulent...I didn't get to stay for the dancing, but it was great to see some friends from high school. It was a bit of sensory overload with the five foot sculpted ice vase, hundreds of red roses and strawberries everywhere, picture slideshow projected on one wall, lights and candles, and just about everything you'd expect to see in a celebrity wedding. Ashley and Francis kept things simple and to-the-point, just focusing on family and friends, music and fun.

I'm not saying any wedding was better than the others, it was just interesting to see how much variety there was...I've never thought about what I want my own wedding to be like, and honestly I still have a hard time picturing myself getting married at this point in my life. All I know is I want it to be fun!


Okay, girly wedding talk done.

No comments: