Monday, October 6, 2008

blast from the past!

My mom's been going through a purging phase since she started re-decorating her room. One of the things she came across was a portfolio FULL of all my high school art projects. Normally I cringe just thinking about my past work, but there were a few gems in the pile that I ended up taking home with me. My mom kept some things to frame and put up, so I took pictures of everything to have for myself.

So without further ado, a journey through my high school art experience (this is the only time I'm sharing past work...my sketchbooks are definitely off-limits lol)!

Here are the ubiquitous five minute gesture drawings...



And of course a study in draping fabric...



I think the assignment was "metamorphosis" for this one...?



I got a lot of crap for this next one, and not without reason. I was going for magnolia seed pod and I ended up pulling a Georgia O'Keeffe. It was completely accidental! And embarrassing. So I'm sharing it.



This assignment required me to draw the same piece of driftwood nine different times, from different angles, on different surfaces, with different tools.



Okay, that's enough for drawing...Let's see the results of my first ever painting class! First, some lilies.



And of course a (sad) self portrait. That necklace I'm wearing in the picture was one of my favorite pieces of jewelry...It had a tiny purple rose and my name on a grain of rice. And then it broke.



Can I just say I prefer just about any other medium to painting? I need more control! Anyway, here is a massively random still life. This one was my second favorite piece from this class...



And finally, the only piece that will eventually make it onto one of my walls...I'm guessing the assignment was to paint a food item or something. At the time, I didn't think much about this painting, but now the more I look at it the more quirky and fun it seems. I give you The Three Ding Dongs.




.
.
.
.
.
.
And as a special bonus, a blast from the distant past, I present a castle I drew in 5th grade for a class project...




As embarrassing as sharing past work can be, it IS fun to see how far I've come and how everything has evolved.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Awesome! Did you see that I recently posted most of my high school work? I miss those classes. Check out my take on some of the same assignments!

http://jamesfullerjr.blogspot.com/2008/09/gallery.html

Lou said...

I did see that! I really do miss those classes too...That was a great mix of people, music, and creative energy. If only all high school classes could be like that...